This is a replay of a live session showing you a Qigong routine for Spring, taught by myself, Dr. Janice Tucker. I have been teaching Qigong for two decades and am the founder of the Space To Relax Programme of Qigong video lessons. I’m also a practitioner of acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine. You can join my live classes on Zoom every Thursday at 4 pm Irish time. Click here to join us (lesson replays sent out by email in case you can’t make it).
These classes are free and everyone is welcome. However, if you’d like to contribute as a thank you for the class click here. 50% of donations will go to the ICU staff in my local hospital in Co. Kerry. The other 50% goes towards the upkeep of this website.
Liver Cleansing Qigong Exercises – Introduction
These classes are free and everyone is welcome. However, if you’d like to contribute as a thank you for the class click here. 50% of donations go to the nurses in the ICU ward at my local hospital for them to use for self-care. The other 50% goes towards the upkeep of this website.
Introduction To Liver Cleansing Qigong Exercises
In terms of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), the Liver System functions to regulate the smooth and harmonious flow of Qi. It also stores the Blood, releasing it when needed to provide you with physical stamina. The eyes are the sense organs associated with the Liver and its associated emotion is anger/frustration.
Liver Qi is depleted by overwork/pushing/striving as is common in modern day life. Liver is responsible for good organisation and planning but overdoing this can also deplete Liver Qi. Overconsumption of alcohol or drugs also tends to exhaust and overheat the Liver system.
Some symptoms of unhealthy functioning of Liver Qi include:
- muscle tension and cramps;
- headaches and migraine;
- eye problems (dry, gritty eyes/blurred vision);
- mood swings;
- irregular menstruation;
- waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to get back to sleep;
- anger and frustration;
- aches and pains in the sides of the body.
Method for Using Liver Cleansing Qigong Exercises
- Begin by taking a comfortable standing (more on Qigong stance here) or sitting position (more on seated Qigong here).
- Settle into your practice by relaxing your body and mind with Abdominal Breathing.
- Discharge waste and stagnant Liver Qi by using the “Xu” sound taken from the Six Healing Sounds Qigong method.
- Perform the “Circles” exercise three times to smooth the flow of Qi in the four directions.
- Tonify your Liver Qi with the eyes closed, visualising the position of the Liver. Inhale green (the associated colour of the Liver) into the Liver organ. As you exhale say to yourself “Relax”. Perform this for as long as you feel you need to in order to feel calm and relaxed on the inside.
- Consolidate your practice with a few abdominal breaths, taking time to observe any changes in the state of your body and mind.
Dietary and Lifestyle Advice To Improve Liver Health
- Sour foods, fermented foods, dark green leafy foods.
- Sufficient rest – stop overworking and pushing yourself even when you feel exhausted.
- Any stretching exercises, especially side bends and twists to stretch the part of the Liver channel which runs along the sides of the lower torso and up through centre of the breasts.
Integrating Liver Cleansing Qigong Exercises Into Your Day
Perform this whole routine, or only part of it, whenever you have a few minutes. This Qigong method works best if you can find a few minutes each day to practice. Little by little, day by day, you will start to observe that you feel a little more comfortable and at ease, both physically and mentally.
Please watch the following videos I made previously which may also help you resolver any Liver related symptoms:
- Overindulged with food or drink? Combatting Excess With The Ba Duan Jin.
- Calm your mind using Qigong For Anger.
- Help to relieve pain using Qigong For Headaches and Migraine.
- Qigong Eye Exercises.
Previous Live Lesson Replays
Previous live lesson replays are listed below and can be found on my blog page.
What Can I Do Next?
To sign up and attend the live online sessions please click here. Classes are free of charge and suitable if you’re a beginner or have more Qigong experience. Once you sign up I’ll send details to your email with links to the Zoom classes (check your junk/spam folders for notifications). Please share this information with your family and friends as everyone is more than welcome.
If you’d like to take your practice to the next level with my structured, step-by-step Space To Relax Qigong programme of 50 video lessons accompanied by audio and PDF files with support from me every step of the way then click here.
To get my free part video series of 3 Qigong lessons which will be delivered to you by email over the course of one week please go to my homepage. In these lessons you’ll learn more about abdominal breathing and Qi movement along with how to rid waste Qi from your body in order to feel more relaxed and energised.
You can also click the red “subscribe” button to join my YouTube channel. That way, you won’t miss any future Qigong lessons from me.