In our busy world we might often find it difficult to find the time to eat. However, statistics show that people in the Western world are increasingly getting bigger. Obesity is on the rise. In Ireland, where I live, the percentage of people who were classified as overweight or obese in 2015 was 60%. This has risen to 62% in 2017 (Central Statistics Office – “The Wellbeing of the Nation 2017“). We all know that the healthiest way to shed pounds is to combine healthy eating with exercise. Fad diets rarely work and the weight often piles back on again afterwards. In the video on this page I’ll be showing you how you can use Qigong for weight loss. I’ll give you a few tips to get you started and let you know how you can progress and take things further if you really want to explore how you can use Qigong for weight loss that lasts!
Janice Tucker is a practitioner of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Medical Qigong. She is also the founder of the Space To Relax online programme of Qigong video lessons.
Please head over to YouTube to subscribe to my YouTube channel by clicking the red “Subscribe” button. That way you won’t miss my regular videos which are full of useful health enhancing tips. These videos will help you to enhance your health and prevent illness from arising in the first place. Also please give this video a “Like” if you found it informative.
Qigong for Weight Loss
Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) offers an alternative method to help those who are trying to slim down. Qigong, as a branch of TCM focuses on bringing back balance to the body and treating the root cause of a problem by promoting the smooth flow of Qi (energy) throughout the body. Combining Qigong with other exercise and healthy eating can have tremendous results in your effort to lose weight.
Below are some of my recommendations of methods of Qigong for weight loss. There are lots more in the Space To Relax Online Programme but what is important is that you practice regularly, exercise regularly and eat healthily. CONSISTENCY is the key!
1. Develop a Morning Routine
This is the best way, I find, to be consistent. Set yourself up for the day with 5-10 minutes of Qigong. If you don’t have time, get up 10 minutes earlier! :-). Following along with my Qigong Morning Routine here.
2. Get Rid Of Toxic Build Up In Your Body
Often we put on weight because toxins accumulate in our bodies which make us feel sluggish and less likely to exercise. Before we know it our weight has increased. Also, excess weight can be a result of excess fluid accumulating in the body if the lymphatic system is not draining and moving fluids around in a healthy way. Below are two previous videos for you to watch if you want to use Qigong for weight loss:
To cleanse or detox your body use this Qigong cleansing method daily (click here to watch). It only takes 2 minutes to practice once you have memorised the movements.
To drain lymph watch my previous video on Qigong for Lymphatic Drainage.
3. Emotional Factors Affecting Weight Gain
As many of you may know emotions can play a significant role in weight gain because we can resort to “emotional eating” in response to stresses from family and work. The stress hormone cortisol can upset the body’s metabolism too, causing an increase in weight or failure to lose weight even when you are not overeating. Refer to my previous videos if you feel that emotional factors contribute to your situation.
Other Tips To Help You Lose Weight
- Acupuncture helps a person lose body fat by reducing appetite and thus reducing the calorie consumption by the body. On the other hand, it increases the metabolic rate of the body and aids in burning more calories. Acupuncture also stimulates the release of endorphins that help to reduce the body fat and insulin levels. Seek out a practitioner in your area if you need some help and don’t want to tackle losing weight on your own.
- Consult a Health Coach. If you want to find someone to help keep you motivated and on track the you may want to consider seeking out a health coach who can help you with dietary and exercise advice. They know all the pitfalls on your journey to slimming down and getting healthier so can help you to overcome them, should they arise. Take a look here for a good example from Dr Ailis Brosnan, who works here in Ireland and runs online programmes available to people worldwide.
Where Can I Learn More?
If you would like to learn even more methods of Qigong for weight loss then:
- Head over to my Space To Relax homepage. There you can sign up for a free 3 part video series of Qigong lessons. Once you’ve completed the free series you’ll have the opportunity to join my Space To Relax online membership programme of Qigong video lessons. This will allow you to take your practice to a whole new level where you will learn many exercises to eliminate health issues before they become a major problem. I’ll guide you step by step through many more effective Qigong methods, all which can be used for helping with weight loss.
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel by clicking the red “Subscribe” button. That way you won’t miss my regular videos which are full of useful health enhancing tips. Also please give this video a “Like” and share with me in the comments box what you learned from this video.
- Join my free Facebook group, “Space To Relax Free Group” and leave any comments or questions for me there. I’ll be happy to answer them. Also, by joining this group, you will receive regular posts of Qigong articles and videos with really useful tips about how to use Qigong to improve your state of health.