How To Establish A Qigong Routine
“I’d love to do Qigong but how do I find the time to practice regularly?”. If you are someone who struggles with finding the time for yourself then you’re not alone. I understand exactly how you feel as sometimes I feel like this myself. We are all busy and sometimes life can get in the way of our best intentions. What I’ll be sharing with you in this post is how to make it easier to create a regular habit of Qigong and how to establish a Qigong routine which does not take too much time out of your busy schedule.
Janice Tucker is a practitioner of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Medical Qigong, and the founder of the Space To Relax online programme of Qigong video lessons.
Please don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel by clicking the red “Subscribe” button so you don’t miss my regular videos which are full of useful health enhancing tips. These videos will help you to benefit your health and prevent illness from arising in the first place. Also please give this video a “Like” if you found it informative.
5 Tips On How To Establish A Qigong Routine
1. Integrate Qigong In To Your Day
If you are so busy that you cannot conceive where to find time to practice Qigong then this post was made for you! There is a solution. It’s not ideal as even 5 minutes of regular practice time is beneficial. However many of the Qigong exercises I teach do not require dedicated practice time. You can easily integrate them in to your day instead. Abdominal breathing is the perfect example of this. You can do it while standing in a queue, driving, walking the dog or watching TV.
2. Make The Decision To Practice
The decision to practice Qigong has to come from you. By making this commitment to yourself then you are more likely to be able to maintain your Qigong routine. If you are too busy to practice then you are precisely the person who can benefit most from regular practice because it actually frees up more time for you. Because Qigong helps to calm and focus your mind, you will be more efficient at carrying out your day to day tasks, in contrast to chasing your tail without clarity or focus. Your increased efficiency means that you will get more done in less time, leaving you with time to spend doing fun things with friends and family!
3. What Is Your Why?
Why do you want to practice Qigong regularly?
What are you struggling with right now?
How does this struggle affect you?
How do you think Qigong will help you with this?
What will that mean for your life, relationships, health and job?
Take some time to sit and write down the answers to these questions. They will give you a reason to practice Qigong and establish a Qigong routine. Whenever you feel as though you can’t be bothered to practice then refer back to your answers. They will give you your “Why” and your inspiration to get out there and practice!
4. Choose A Good Location In Which To Practice
Choosing somewhere in which you feel comfortable is very important for Qigong practice. Ideally this will be somewhere in nature like a forest or beach. However, if you live in the city it could be somewhere like a park or next to a river or canal. The location you choose also needs to be somewhere which is easy for you to get to on a daily basis. You will not be motivated to practice daily if your favourite place is half an hour away by public transport! Choosing a place that is close by and easy to get to will maximise your chances of practising daily.
5. Establish A Regular Time Of Day To Practice
The best time to practice Qigong is at a time that suits you. Often first thing in the morning is the best time for most people as it is quieter and you have also set yourself up in the best way possible for the rest of your day. However, night time might suit some of you, depending on your routine.
Practising at the same time every day helps you to develop the habit, just like cleaning your teeth, so you are less likely to skip a day once this habit is established.
What Do I Do Next?
1. Head over to my Space To Relax homepage to sign up for a free 3 part video series of Qigong lessons.
2. Please don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel by clicking the red “Subscribe” button. Then you won’t miss my regular videos which are full of useful health enhancing tips. Also please give this video a “Like” if you learned more about how to establish a Qigong routine (and share with any friends or family, especially the more elderly people you know who may not be so steady on their feet).
3. If you are on Facebook head over to my free group, “Space To Relax Free Group” and leave any comments or questions for me there. I’ll be happy to answer them. Also, by joining this group, you will receive regular posts of Qigong articles and videos with really useful tips about how to use Qigong to improve your state of health.