For any of you who have ever suffered with an asthma attack, bronchitis or shortness of breath you will understand how these conditions can very quickly create a sense of panic, anxiety and fear. When we can’t breathe properly this is scary! Once we have experienced that fear inducing feeling then we may mistrust the breath and worry about when the next “attack” will happen. I think you’ll agree that this is not a situation anyone should have to tolerate. That’s why I created the video on this page for you today; to help you learn some simple methods of Qigong for asthma and breathing difficulties.
Janice Tucker is a practitioner of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Medical Qigong. She is also the founder of the Space To Relax online programme of Qigong video lessons.
Please head over to YouTube to subscribe to my YouTube channel by clicking the red “Subscribe” button. That way you won’t miss my regular videos which are full of useful health enhancing tips. These videos will help you to enhance your health and prevent illness from arising in the first place. Also please give this video a “Like” if you found it informative.
The Negative Consequences of Breathing Difficulties
In Traditional Chinese Medicine the Lung and the Kidney system govern the mechanism of breathing. When these systems are compromised a range of breathing difficulties may develop such as asthma, bronchitis or simply shortness of breath. Obviously when we can’t catch our breath this can generate a sense of fear, anxiety and panic, leading to more shallow breathing and even more fear, anxiety and panic! Methods of Qigong for asthma and breathing difficulties not only help to physically strengthen your lung and kidney systems but also to mentally focus your mind, not on the blockage or the problem, but on the FREE FLOW OF BREATH into the lower abdomen. The 4 tips below will help you address both the physical and mental aspects to overcoming asthma and breathing difficulties.
My 4 Top Methods of Qigong for Asthma and Bronchitis
1. Abdominal Breathing. By meditating on the breath you will find that your breathing becomes more open, free flowing and easy. Focus on the positive, i.e. unobstructed, open, free flowing breath in and out of the body, NOT on the negative obstructed air flow. The more you focus on the negative, the more it will be manifest! Practice abdominal breathing as shown in a previous video I made. Click here to watch it.
2. Posture. Think of the top of your head being suspended from the sky or ceiling. There is length in the back of your neck, achieved by tucking the chin back towards the throat. Sit or stand up straight to create length in the sides of the body and lower back area. This creates more space for the lungs. See my previous video on Qigong Stance.
3. One of the Six Healing Sounds for ridding the Lung system of waste Qi and strengthening immunity. This method can be found in my previous video on Qigong for Immunity.
4. To strengthen the Kidney system follow along with the Looking Back Over Shoulder method in my previous video about Qigong For Back Pain.
Where Can I Learn More?
If you would like to learn even more benefits of Qigong for asthma and breathing difficulties then:
1. Head over to my Space To Relax homepage. There you can sign up for a free 3 part video series of Qigong lessons. Once you’ve completed the free series you’ll have the opportunity to join my Space To Relax online membership programme of Qigong video lessons. This will allow you to take your practice to a whole new level where you will learn many exercises to eliminate health issues before they become a major problem. I’ll guide you step by step through many more effective Qigong methods, all which will help if you have breathing difficulties because all Qigong methods involve mindful, regulated breathing.
2. Subscribe to my YouTube channel by clicking the red “Subscribe” button. That way you won’t miss my regular videos which are full of useful health enhancing tips. Also please give this video a “Like” and share with me in the comments box what you learned from this video.
3. Join my free Facebook group, “Space To Relax Free Qigong Group” and leave any comments or questions for me there. I’ll be happy to answer them. Also, by joining this group, you will receive regular posts of Qigong articles and videos with really useful tips about how to use Qigong to improve your state of health.