Do you ever wake up in the morning feeling stiff and inflexible in your body? If so then there is a simple Qigong stretch that you can do to help. The simple Qigong stretch in the video on this page will help to loosen out the shoulders, chest and upper back. It’s the perfect exercise to perform in the garden first thing in the morning!
Janice Tucker is a practitioner of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Medical Qigong. She is also the founder of the Space To Relax online programme of Qigong video lessons.
Please don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel by clicking the red “Subscribe” button above so you don’t miss my regular videos which are full of useful health enhancing tips. These videos will help you to enhance your health and prevent illness from arising in the first place. Also please give this video a “Like” if you found it informative.
Why Bother Stretching?
When we are sleeping at night our circulation of Qi and blood naturally slows down because we are moving less. Our muscles don’t require the same blood supply by night as they do by day. When we wake up in the morning it’s a good idea to warm up the body by stretching. Performing a simple Qigong stretch (such as the one in the video) in a mindful way, using the combination of movement, breath and your mind is the quickest way to “wake up” the body in the mornings. As a result you will feel awakened, enlivened and ready to face the day brimming with energy.
A Simple Qigong Stretch
This exercise is part of a method called the “Yi Tai Zhi Qi” stretches, the whole of which is taught in my Space To Relax membership programme of Qigong video lessons. It is aimed at releasing turbid Qi from the joints of the body. Follow along with the video to learn how a simple Qigong stretch like this is the perfect one to do first thing in the morning. It will set you up for the day feeling energised but relaxed at the same time.
Each movement can be performed in multiples of 3, 6 or 9. Start with multiples of 3 and gradually build up the repetitions as you become stronger and if you have more time. As you stretch breathe out and as you relax and come back to your original position, breathe in. Perform this exercise from the Qigong standing position.
Open back bending forwards. (Note: caution not to let the head drop too low if you have high blood pressure) and breathe out.
Come back up to standing as you breathe in.
Open chest, arms extend to the sides as you breathe out.
Bring arms back to centre as you breathe in.
Important Points to Note for This Qigong Stretch
1. This technique especially benefits older people because it promotes Qi and blood circulation. When combined with stillness it promotes Qi and blood and expands mental function. As you get older lack of movement causes stiffness. This exercise is to help you stretch the stiff tendons a little and soften all the all the joints in your body. If you continue doing it, it becomes easier.
2. Remember to pay attention to mind, body and breathing; that they are united together leading to the best results. With this exercise, perform it at the speed and regulation of Qi that suits you so that you don’t feel tired. This is different to physical exercise because the main thing here is that the Qi and blood are able to flow. Only secondly is this a physical exercise.
What Do I Do Next?
If you would like to learn more Qigong then:
1. Head over to my Space To Relax homepage. There you can sign up for a free 3 part video series of Qigong lessons. These three lessons will show you just how easy it is to get started with Qigong. Once you’ve completed the free series you’ll have the opportunity to join my Space To Relax online membership programme of Qigong video lessons. This will allow you to take your practice to a whole new level where you will learn many exercises to eliminate health issues before they become a major problem. I’ll guide you step by step through many more effective Qigong methods, including the whole of the Yi Tai Zhi Qi stretching method.
2. Subscribe to my YouTube channel by clicking the red “Subscribe” button. That way you won’t miss my regular videos which are full of useful health enhancing tips. Also please give this video a “Like” and share with me in the comments box your best methods of stretching first thing in the morning.
3. Join my free Facebook group, “Space To Relax Free Qigong Group” and leave any comments or questions for me there. I’ll be happy to answer them. Also, by joining this group, you will see really useful tips about how to use Qigong to improve your state of health.