This is a replay of a live session showing you a Qigong routine for Spring, taught by myself, Dr. Janice Tucker. I have been teaching Qigong for two decades and am the founder of the Space To Relax Programme of Qigong video lessons. I’m also a practitioner of acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine. You can join my live classes on Zoom every Thursday at 4 pm Irish time. Click here to join us (lesson replays sent out by email in case you can’t make it).
These classes are free and everyone is welcome. However, if you’d like to contribute as a thank you for the class click here. 50% of donations will go to the ICU staff in my local hospital in Co. Kerry. The other 50% goes towards the upkeep of this website.
Qigong For Trauma Release and Shock – Introduction
When we go into shock or suffer trauma, our body visibly shakes. In this Qigong exercise, we make use of this shaking movement to release any trauma which may have been bottled up inside the body for years. This is never a good thing as it can lead to a manifestation of physical symptoms such as shoulder, back or stomach pain. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) can also be a result of trauma, shock or emotions which have not been healthily dealt with and processed by the physical body and mind.
The Qigong exercises shown in this video can help you:
1. Release old stress patterns which manifest as pain, discomfort or stiffness as a result of holding trauma and shock inside the physical body;
2. Increase your energy levels as you let go of “bracing the body” against trauma in an attempt to hold it inside;
3. Discharge any energy or emotions which are being held inside the body leading to a softening of the muscles.
Method for Using Qigong For Trauma Release and Shock
- Begin by taking a comfortable standing (more on Qigong stance here) or sitting position (more on seated Qigong here).
- Settle into your practice by relaxing your body and mind with Abdominal Breathing.
- Shake and twist the arms and hands, relaxing the muscles and joints as you do this.
- Lift the arms as you inhale, drop the arms and bend your knees as you exhale through the mouth.
- Hold the arms at shoulder level, shaking and twisting them in this position.
- Let your body move in whichever direction it leads you in order to release any tension and ease any remaining areas of tension.
- Perform the “Circles” exercise three times to smooth the flow of Qi in the four directions.
- Consolidate your practice with a few abdominal breaths, taking time to observe any changes in the state of your body and mind.
Integrating Qigong For Trauma Release and Shock Into Your Day
Perform this whole shaking Qigong routine, or only part of it, whenever you have a few minutes. This Qigong method works best if you can find a few minutes each day to practice. Little by little, day by day, you will start to observe that you feel a little more comfortable and at ease.
Please watch the following videos I made previously which may also help you release any pent up emotions:
3. Qigong For Grief.
For anyone with PTSD you may want to consider NADA Ear Acupuncture treatment. More information on this is here.
Previous Live Lesson Replays
Previous live lesson replays are listed below and can be found on my blog page.
What Can I Do Next?
To sign up and attend the live online sessions please click here. Classes are free of charge and suitable if you’re a beginner or have more Qigong experience. Once you sign up I’ll send details to your email with links to the Zoom classes (check your junk/spam folders for notifications). Please share this information with your family and friends as everyone is more than welcome.
If you’d like to take your practice to the next level with my structured, step-by-step Space To Relax Qigong programme of 50 video lessons accompanied by audio and PDF files with support from me every step of the way then click here.
To get my free part video series of 3 Qigong lessons which will be delivered to you by email over the course of one week please go to my homepage. In these lessons you’ll learn more about abdominal breathing and Qi movement along with how to rid waste Qi from your body order to feel more relaxed and energised.
You can also click the red “subscribe” button to join my YouTube channel. That way, you won’t miss any future Qigong lessons from me.