This is a replay of a live session showing you a Qigong routine for Spring, taught by myself, Dr. Janice Tucker. I have been teaching Qigong for two decades and am the founder of the Space To Relax Programme of Qigong video lessons. I’m also a practitioner of acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine. You can join my live classes on Zoom every Thursday at 4 pm Irish time. Click here to join us (lesson replays sent out by email in case you can’t make it).
These classes are free and everyone is welcome. However, if you’d like to contribute as a thank you for the class click here. 50% of donations will go to the ICU staff in my local hospital in Co. Kerry. The other 50% goes towards the upkeep of this website.
Qigong for Balance and Ears – Introduction
If you have been enjoying these classes during the last couple of months and you’d like to donate something by way of a thank you, I’ll be giving 50% of donations to the ICU nurses in my local hospital. Click here to donate.
Introduction To Qigong for Balance & Ears
In this video you can follow along with some Qigong for balance and ears. Having good balance is important in order to prevent falls, especially in seniors where the consequences of a broken bone can be very serious. Athletic performance can also be enhanced with improved balance. Many sports require finely tuned balance and timing. Even simple walking or cycling requires good balance.
Many of us know that the ears are closely connected with our sense of balance. Ear infections or conditions such as vertigo, Meniere’s disease and labyrinthitis can have a serious detrimental impact upon our balance. The video on this page also shows you some massage to stimulate the acupuncture points around your ears to improve the flow of Qi to this area. Also, in Traditional Chinese Medicine, the ears are the sense organ associated with the Kidney system so a simple lower back/kidney massage is also demonstrated for you to follow along with.
Qigong for Balance and Ears – Method
1. Adopt the Qigong sitting or standing posture (more here).
2. Begin with Abdominal Breathing to get into the “Qigong State” of calm and relaxation (more details here).
3. As you breathe, identify the areas where you are holding tension by mentally scanning from your head to your toes. Exhale and in your mind’s eye visualise relaxing and expanding the area which is tense.
4. Build leg strength to give yourself confidence around your balance, knowing that your legs can safely and securely support you. To do this adopt a horse stance (more here) and practice an exercise such as the “Circles” exercise to encourage Qi circulation the four directions (see more detail here).
5. Follow along with ear massage and ear pulling to stimulate the acupuressure points around the ears.
6. Massage the lower back/kidney area to stimulate and invigorate the flow of Qi in the kidney system.
7. Refer to my previous videos on “Qigong for Grounding” and “Qigong for Feet and Ankles” for more exercises which will help you with leg strength and balance. Also, here is another video for you which I made on Qigong for Balance.
Integration into Your Day
In order to develop better balance you can find a few minutes to practice any of the above Qigong for balance and ears during the course of your day. Remember, if you are not confident with your balance, to move slowly and deliberately, making sure your footing is firm and you feel grounded before moving your body.
Previous Live Lesson Replays
Previous live lesson replays are listed below and can be found on my blog page.
What Can I Do Next?
To sign up and attend the live online sessions please click here. Classes are free of charge and suitable if you’re a beginner or have more Qigong experience. Once you sign up I’ll send details to your email with links to the Zoom classes (check your junk/spam folders for notifications). Please share this information with your family and friends as everyone is more than welcome.
If you’d like to take your practice to the next level with my structured, step-by-step Space To Relax Qigong programme of 50 video lessons accompanied by audio and PDF files with support from me every step of the way then click here.
To get my free part video series of 3 Qigong lessons which will be delivered to you by email over the course of one week please go to my homepage. In these lessons you’ll learn more about abdominal breathing and Qi movement. In addition, you’ll learn how to rid waste Qi from your body order to feel more relaxed and energised.
You can also click the red “subscribe” button to join my YouTube channel. That way, you won’t miss any future Qigong lessons from me.