Lesson 57 – Qigong For Constipation (Replay of Live Qigong Class)
This is a replay of a live session showing you how to use Qigong for constipation and digestive health, taught by myself, Dr. Janice Tucker. I have been teaching Qigong for two decades and am the founder of the Space To Relax Programme of Qigong video lessons and a practitioner of acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine.
You can join my live classes on Zoom every Thursday at 4 pm Irish time. Click here to join us (lesson replays sent out by email in case you can’t make it).
These classes are free and everyone is welcome. However, if you’d like to contribute as a thank you for the class click here. 50% of donations will go to the ICU staff in my local hospital in Co. Kerry. The other 50% goes towards the upkeep of this website.
Qigong For Constipation – Introduction
Most of us will, at one time or another, have suffered with constipation, bloating or digestive discomfort. Constipation can be due to many factors including:
- Certain foods;
- Rushing and feeling under pressure;
- Lack of exercise;
- Eating on the run.
The objective of using Qigong for constipation is to:
- Stimulate peristalsis and contraction in the intestines so that waste can be efficiently expelled;
- Create the conditions for smooth and unobstructed Qi flow in the organ systems which, according to Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), are involved in healthy digestive function. These are Spleen, Liver, Stomach, Small Intestine and Large Intestine.
Use one of the methods below or a combination to either improve your situation if you are suffering from constipation or to maintain healthy bowel movements and prevent constipation from arising in the first place.
Qigong For Constipation – Method
- Begin standing (or standing for long periods is not available to you right now).
- Settle into your practice with a few abdominal breaths to bring yourself into the Qigong state.
- Massage the abdominal area, focusing on the descending colon on the left side of the abdomen.
- Use exaggerated abdominal breathing to massage the abdominal organs and encourage movement through the intestines.
- Close your hands to make fists, creating tension as you inhale and draw up on the anus. As you exhale, release the fists and relax the anus. Repeat 20 times.
- Perform the “Knocking on the Gates of Life” exercise.
- Perform “Raising Up A Single Hand” exercise to promote Qi flow through the sides of the body and channels linked to the digestive organs mentioned above.
- Consolidate your practice with a few abdominal breaths.
Additional Management Options
The following additional tips are worth considering in order to help best manage constipation:
- Acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine can be extremely helpful.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Eat a diet high in fibre.
- Take calcium/magnesium supplements to help promote muscle contraction and relaxation (and improve peristalsis).
- Pay attention to your time and manner of eating. Eat regularly. Chew your food slowly. Avoid eating “on the run”, standing up, in front of the TV, when you are emotionally upset, when you are rushing or under pressure.
Additional Video Resources
Many other live lesson replays can be found on my blog page. Take a look at some of them to find methods which you can easily combine with this one.
What Can I Do Next?
To sign up and attend the live online sessions please click here. Classes are free of charge and suitable if you’re a beginner or have more Qigong experience. Once you sign up I’ll send details to your email with links to the Zoom classes. Check your junk/spam folders for notifications. Please share this information with your family and friends as everyone is more than welcome.
If you’d like to take your practice to the next level with my structured, step-by-step Space To Relax Qigong programme of 50 video lessons accompanied by audio and PDF files with support from me every step of the way then click here.
To get my free part video series of 3 Qigong lessons which will be delivered to you by email over the course of one week please click here. In these lessons you’ll learn more about abdominal breathing, Qi movement and how to rid waste Qi. This will help you to feel more relaxed and energised.
You can also click the red “subscribe” button to join my YouTube channel. That way, you won’t miss any future Qigong lessons from me.
Click here to join our Qigong group on Facebook.